Supporting the Nest Guild During Unprecedented Times
A Guide to Online Storefronts, Giving Platforms and Ways We Can Build a Nest Together for our Artisan Partners
Across the world, artisan and craft-based businesses are facing the new realities of what happens to work when the global economy halts to a complete standstill. As the vast majority of the communities across the globe do their part to shelter in place, the livelihoods of craftspeople dependent on global supply chains and who are often non-salaried employees dependent on piece-rate work, is now in question.
At Nest, we’ve been doing our part to listen to the businesses in our Artisan Guild as they share their greatest concerns during this unique and unsettling global moment. In the past weeks, Nest hosted two online open forums for Guild members to voice what COVID-19 has meant for their businesses, fellow craftspeople, orders, and long-term survival as an artisan enterprise. We discussed some of the specific ways Nest can support our Guild during this truly unprecedented time.
Despite the current calamity, we also unearthed glimmers of hope. We heard that some of our artisans, working in home labor settings, are still producing goods to sell online now or through channels that will reopen at a later time. We also heard that Guild members are looking to use this grounded time as an opportunity to optimize their existing e-commerce platforms, or launch online direct-to-consumer channels.
As Nest navigates this new reality of what it means to be an artisan in times of global pandemic, a first step we are taking is to provide our community with a resource of the Nest Guild members who, in spite of the current crisis, are open for business.
Your support at this current moment could not be more impactful. Thank you for thinking of the Nest Guild as you buy gifts to stay connected with friends and family or cozy up your nest while you spend this extended time at home.
Guild Members With Online Storefronts Open For Business
While retail stores in neighborhoods across the country are shuttered, numerous artisan businesses around the globe are open for business through the power of online commerce. Here are some of the Guild members you can support today!
1. Atellier Organic Joyas de Autor, 20% discount on select pieces, Visit shop
2. Awamaki, 20% off with code supportartisans20, Visit shop
3. CoCo Schramel Art, Sale on print shop, Visit shop
4. The Colombia Collective, Visit shop
1. Custom Collaborative, Locally-made by female artisans in New York, Visit shop
2. D.A.R. Projectos, The “Cube Stone” and “Tic Tac Toe” are in stock & ready to ship, Shop Cube Stone & Tic Tac Toe
3. Ellie Fun Day, 40% off site wide! Selling fabric face masks Buy One + Give One to hospitals in need, Visit shop
1. Etymology Jewelry, $20 to spend towards your handmade jewelry order with code SHOPLOCAL – includes gift card purchases! Visit shop
2. Freeset, Shop or donate to support the livelihoods of artisans while the factory is closed; 50% off retail with code FREESETUSASTRONG, Donate; Visit shop
3. Handcrafted Arts of Morocco, Customized products for brands, retailers, designers and architects, Visit shop
4. Helen Edna, Special pack of 6 Thinking of You letterpress cards for $27; Free shipping sitewide, Visit shop & Thinking of You Card Set
5. Indego Africa, Visit shop
1. La Casa Cotzal, S.A., Free shipping on all orders, Visit shop
2. Larone Crafts, Visit shop
3. MAJOIE Maldives, 20% off with code TOGETHERWECAN, Visit shop
4. Mayamiko,10% off with new newsletter sign up, Visit shop
1. MayaBags®,10% off with code Love Life; Free domestic shipping for purchases over $100, Visit shop
2. Poetic Threads, Visit shop
3. Purse & Clutch, Special Session Apprenticeship, 2 for 1 deal, Register
4. RefuSHE, Visit shop
1. Patricia Govea Collection, 20% off with code UnitedWeStand, Visit shop
2. Stela 9,15% of with code Stela9love, Visit shop
3. Threads of Peru, Gift Cards available; 10% off with code SUPPORT10 for orders over $50, excluding clearance items, till April 23rd, Visit shop
4. WATI collective, Sale on now, Visit shop
1. Twenty Two West, 10% off your first order with newsletter sign-up, Visit shop
2. Sasha Association for Craft Producer, Customizable designs, quantity, pricing & shipping modes for wholesale orders, Visit shop
3. World Peaces, Visit shop
4. Zuahaza,15% off with code SUPPORTYOURSISTERS, Visit shop
5. Likha, Visit shop
1. NASHIRA ARNO, ‘Shop & Pay What You Can’ Sale, Plus Free Standard Domestic Shipping with code THANKYOUWORKERS, Visit shop
2. Yanawara, Free shipping over $100 in the US, Plus 10% off with code WELCOME, Visit shop
3. Studio Coppre, Purchase a Coppre Covid Voucher to help provide a basic stipend to artisans to save artisanal knowhow and livelihoods, Support & Visit shop
4. Utz Threads, Visit shop
1. Batiqua, Free Delivery in North America, Visit shop
2. Feminist Goods Co, 10% off when you join the email list!, Visit shop
3. Yumajai, Each one Gives one. 50% discount on the 2nd product, Visit shop
1. Jeebito-Project DV, Visit shop
2. The Creative Artisans by HG Group, Visit shop
3. Sidai Designs, 10% discount code automatically at checkout when you use this link, Visit shop
4. Rover & Kin, Free shipping on all US orders with code STAYWELL, Visit shop
1. Lai, Visit shop
2. Luxuriously Organic, 15% off Select Products + Free Shipping with code selfcare15, Visit shop
3. PIXAN, Use code SPRINGSALE20 to receive 40% off sale items and code AMANECER20 to receive 40% off the Amanecer Collection. You can also contribute to the COVID-19 Emergency Funding for 500 Maya Families, Visit shop
Let’s Build a Nest Together
To support our artisan programs you can also join the Nest Co-op through a monthly subscription (normally an annual membership). Your membership gives you access to adult craft activities, our Artisan Shopping guides (inc. special deals) and more!
One Twig at a Time
If you are a parent facing new homeschooling responsibilities, we’ve also launched a program called One Twig at a Time (a ‘branch’ of Nest’s Co-op), as a way to engage the whole family in craft, cultural appreciation and community engagement in the One Twig Facebook group and fun monthly craft projects!