Director of Communications
Nest, a New York City based 501(c)(3) non-profit, is seeking a full-time Director of Communications to oversee all internal and external communications and marketing efforts. This role will work closely across all Nest internal teams and with external partners. Reporting to the COO / CFO, the Director of Communications will set and direct the strategy for all communications, website, public relations messages and collateral to consistently articulate Nest’s mission. The Director of Communications will ensure that Nest is viewed as the primary source, disseminator, and conduit of information for the handworker economy within our diverse network and constituent base. The Director will also be responsible for overseeing and directing key external advocacy efforts including issuing and growth of the Nest Seal of Ethical Handcraft in market, the organization’s annual multilateral Convening as well as liaising and recruiting for Nest’s Advisory Board of high profile ambassadors.
The Director of Communications will work closely with a senior peer group within the organization as the communications lead on a variety of strategic initiatives.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communications plan that proactively reaches Nest’s diverse audiences
- Lead the generation of online content including the Nest blog and social media channels that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action. Decide who, where, and when to disseminate
- Put communications vehicles in place to create momentum and awareness as well as to test the effectiveness of communications activities
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all major print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, the NestNow monthly online newsletter, internal and external pitch documents, and Nest’s website
- Direct Nest Seal of Ethical Handcraft use in market with external partners, liaising with brands who have licensed the seal and providing approvals and support for mark usage
- Coordinate website maintenance—ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly and liaise with Nest’s web developer to implement changes
- Track and measure the level of engagement within the network over time, across all analog and digital platforms
- Manage communications with Nest partners including brands and retailers and philanthropy partners regarding external communication opportunities
- Liaise with Nest’s publicist about press outreach including pitch ideation
- Coordinate and organize meetings with the Nest Communications Board Committee to leverage Nest Board members and advisors in supporting Nest’s marketing efforts
- Support communications with Nest’s influencer network (largely on Nest’s Advisory Board) as well as recruiting and liaising with new prospects
- Plan and execute external advocacy events including, but not limited to, Nest’s annual multilateral Convening including strategy, speaker outreach and full execution
Nest is seeking an accomplished Director of Communications who has at least 6 years of communications experience, ideally in an “in-house” leadership role within a complex (number and variety of constituents) nonprofit entity, and covering areas such as website content, newsletters, and partnership or donor pitches and communications. The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
Specific requirements include:
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to “manage by influence”
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
Nest offers a competitive salary, full benefits package and retirement contribution.
To be considered please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org