Data Systems Internship, New York, NY
Founded in 2006, Nest is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) building a new handworker economy to generate global workforce inclusivity, improve women’s wellbeing beyond factories, and preserve cultural traditions of craft. Working hand in hand with brands, philanthropists, and artisan businesses, Nest is using radical transparency, data-driven development, and fair market access to connect craftspeople, brands, and consumers in a circular and human centric value chain.
Nest is currently hiring interns for the Programming team, to support with the management of data cleaning and analysis processes. This role will provide a unique opportunity to work across the diverse programs at Nest that range from in-depth interventional programming to resource and guidance programming.
Primary roles and responsibilities of the intern will span across the following projects:
Nest Artisan Guild & Artisan Accelerator
• Optimizing data entry and cleaning for the extensive Nest Guild Database and Artisan Accelerator programs’ survey data, for tracking and reporting of key indicators
• Research online survey tools for migration of existing data collection surveys from Google Surveys to advanced survey software
Ethical Compliance Program
• Assist with cleaning and monitoring of assessment data to create compatibility across existing data management systems and for input into visualization software
• Extracting key data points from existing reports for analysis
• Assist with an ongoing technology development project, as needed
• Set up data management system compiling and coordinating information across multiple trackers and data sources
• Create data maps to increase efficiency of data collection
• Perform data transformations of historical program data from 2012-2017 for reporting
• Generate industry-relevant insights through descriptive analyses of program datasets for reporting to the Nest Board and external stakeholders
• Opportunities for independent analysis projects using any of Nest’s diverse programming datasets such as the Guild (500+ artisan businesses) or Worker Wellbeing (400+ artisans). Datasets can be available for course-related projects.
• Undergraduate or graduate student, or recent graduate
• Availability to work from Nest NYC HQ; work hours can be flexible
• Experience using Microsoft Excel or database management software
• Experience with analytic/visualization software (e.g. Qlik, Tableau, Stata) or data collection software (e.g. ODK, Qualtrics) a plus
• Strong attention to detail and ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
• Organized and project focused; passion for learning
Please note this is an unpaid part-time intern position, but we can provide assistance for the internship to count for course credit. To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to Shalini Suresh at firstname.lastname@example.org.